Types of Research
- (-) Remove 2010 filter 2010
- (-) Remove 2008 filter 2008
- (-) Remove Research Brief filter Research Brief
- (-) Remove Technology filter Technology
- (-) Remove Research & Development filter Research & Development
- (-) Remove Monitoring & Evaluation filter Monitoring & Evaluation
- (-) Remove Sub-Saharan Africa filter Sub-Saharan Africa
- (-) Remove 2015 filter 2015
- (-) Remove Data Analysis filter Data Analysis
- (-) Remove 2017 filter 2017
An ongoing stream of EPAR research considers how public good characteristics of different types of research and development (R&D) and the motivations of different providers of R&D funding affect the relative advantages of alternative funding sources. For this project, we seek to summarize the key public good characteristics of R&D investment for agriculture in general and for different subsets of crops, and hypothesize how these characteristics might be expected to affect public, private, or philanthropic funders’ investment decisions.
This research brief reports on full time equivalent (fte) positions devoted to research and development of major food and cash crops in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). Data on fte by country and crop were collected from individual Agricultural Science and Technology Indicator (ASTI) country briefs. ASTI data are obtained from unpublished surveys conducted by CGIAR centers. Our report includes 23 countries in SSA.