Types of Research
- (-) Remove 2015 filter 2015
- (-) Remove Information & Mobile Technology filter Information & Mobile Technology
- (-) Remove Rural Populations filter Rural Populations
- (-) Remove Finance & Investment filter Finance & Investment
- (-) Remove Smallholder Farmers filter Smallholder Farmers
This report reviews and summarizes the existing evidence on the impact of access to financial services/products on measures of production, income and wealth, consumption and food security, and resilience for smallholder farmers and other rural customers and their households in Sub-Saharan Africa. This study covers four main types of financial products/services: 1) credit; 2) savings; 3) insurance; 4) transactional products. We also review the very limited evidence on the effectiveness of bundling these products/services together and of combining them with other offerings such as trainings or support for access to markets, and of providing them via digital channels. We note when financial products/services have been specifically designed to serve the needs of rural customers or smallholder farmers, since the needs of these groups are often very different from those of other stakeholders.