Types of Research
- (-) Remove 2010 filter 2010
- (-) Remove Women filter Women
- (-) Remove Literature Review filter Literature Review
- (-) Remove Market & Value Chain Analysis filter Market & Value Chain Analysis
- (-) Remove Agricultural Inputs & Farm Management filter Agricultural Inputs & Farm Management
Contract farming (CF) is an arrangement between farmers and a processing or marketing firm for the production and supply of agricultural products, often at predetermined prices. This literature review builds on EPAR's review of smallholder contract farming in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) and South Asia (EPAR Technical Report #60) by specifically examining the evidence on impacts and potential benefits of contract farming for women in SSA. Key takeaways suggest women’s direct participation in contract farming is limited, with limited access to land and control over the allocation of labor and cash resources key constraints hindering women’s ability to benefit from CF. Further, we find that the impact of contract farming on women is often mediated by their relative bargaining power within the household.