Types of Research
- (-) Remove 2017 filter 2017
- (-) Remove Data Analysis filter Data Analysis
- (-) Remove Poverty filter Poverty
- (-) Remove Political Economy & Governance filter Political Economy & Governance
- (-) Remove Risk, Preferences, & Decision-Making filter Risk, Preferences, & Decision-Making
By examining how farmers respond to changes in crop yield, we provide evidence on how farmers are likely to respond to a yield-enhancing intervention that targets a single staple crop such as maize. Two alternate hypotheses we examine are: as yields increase, do farmers maintain output levels but change the output mix to switch into other crops or activities, or do they hold cultivated area constant to increase their total production quantity and therefore their own consumption or marketing of the crop? This exploratory data analysis using three waves of panel data from Tanzania is part of a long-term project examining the pathways between staple crop yield (a proxy for agricultural productivity) and poverty reduction in Sub-Saharan Africa.